Southern States Exchange 2018
*Registration is closed*
ULI Alabama is excited to host its fellow members of the ULI Southern States Region (ULI Alabama, ULI Louisiana, ULI Memphis, ULI Nashville, and ULI Atlanta), for a conference in Birmingham.
Birmingham has been experiencing a revival in its downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Join ULI members for a 1.5-day event, as we explore the city and learn more about this renaissance, including the context, development tools, and results. We will explore the impacts of shifting demographics, a desire for walkable neighborhoods, and environmentally sustainable development, all of which have contributed to an exciting and robust transformation of this iconic Southeast city. Special guest speaker includes Christopher Coes, Vice President of LOCUS
During the first day we’ll tour:
• ULI Atlanta’s Development of Excellence award recipient – Pepper Place, the focal point of Birmingham’s Lakeview Design District and home of The Market at Pepper Place;
• The new Rotary Trail and Railroad Park;
• Regions Field, home of the Birmingham Barons;
• Sloss Furnaces, a National Historic Monument and one of Birmingham’s first Iron Furnaces;
• Avondale, an urban neighborhood where public private partnerships have catalyzed a thriving hub of local food, beverage and entertainment options. Dinner will be served at Avondale Brewing Company.
On Day two attendees will:
• Get a city overview at the historic Vulcan Park and Museum;
• Tour a development at University of Alabama, Birmingham (UAB);
• See the newly renovated Thomas Jefferson Tower;
• Participate in a walking tour of Downtown Birmingham, that will highlight $1 billion in investments in the central downtown area. Projects to tour include the Pizitz Food Hall, the historic Lyric Theatre, and Birmingham’s Intermodal Facility;
• Over lunch, discuss Birmingham’s next chapter in the historic Florentine Building.
Registration is limited to 50 ULI members.
$250 Total Registration Cost (includes 2 days of touring, Dinner & Lunch)